Thursday 13 May 2010

The Romantic Novelists Summer Party

I've been a member of the Romantic Novelists Association for the past eight years. I joined when someone told me that the parties were great for meeting agents. So off I went to my first RNA event, the Summer Party of 2002, happy in the knowledge that I was going to meet lots of agents. And do you know what - I did. The place was heaving with them.

Of course, they weren't bathed in glory as golden rays beamed down from the ceiling onto them, illuminating their all round fabulousness, in fact, they looked pretty much like any one else, but once I got into the swing of things, it was easy peasy. You just had to say, 'I'm hoping to meet agents,' and either the person would say, 'I'm one,' or point you in the right direction.

I have to say I think the several glasses of white wine I'd swigged back in quick succession helped me immensely with this process as I'm normally completely useless at parties and go all shy and tongue tied and end up self-consciously loitering in dark corners. But luckily the parties are reasonably short so I didn't end up falling over and making a fool of myself entirely, and the result was an agent signed me up. (Was it coincidence this was an agent I met after only one glass of wine?)

Today I'm off the the summer party again. I am older, wiser, and will be drinking less. But I will be meeting lots of friends and making new ones, and on the train home my jaws will ache from talking and smiling and laughing non-stop for three hours.

Come to the launch party for Kissing Mr Wrong, 6.30pm on 20th May at Waterstones, Milsom Street, Bath. All welcome, but please ring 01225 448515 to let them have an idea of numbers.

5 comments:

Julie Cohen said...

Hooray! See you there!

Ann Patey said...

SOunds lovely, have a great day!

Sarah Duncan said...

Thank Ann.

Julie, great to see you last night, and Lizzie too!

Lizzie said...

Just home, Sarah. It was lovely to meet you in the real world, as opposed to the virtual one. And thank you for introducing me to the agent – will be sorting my 50 pages out over the weekend.

Good luck with Kissing Mr Wrong!

Sarah Duncan said...

Lovely to meet you too, Lizzie. I was a bit worried I was throwing you in at the deep end, but nothing ventured nothing gained - crossing fingers you get a good response.