Tuesday 7 September 2010

Relationships and Writing Styles

After my dog being ill over the summer, now it's the cat's turn. She's gone from being large and bolshy to being small and pathetically friendly. She purrs and is not in obvious distress, but something about her body language says she is not well. My son has left home and is working in London (did I mention he got a first? Not that I'm proud or anything), my daughter is off to uni in a couple of weeks, so if the cat goes I will be without dependents for the first time in years. It will be weird.

But it also got me thinking about the sort of thing I write: it's all about intertwining relationships. All my characters have relationships with friends, family and lovers, and the playing out of those relationships make up the story. Often the main character learns to be more independent, not to automatically accept the status quo.

Compare with the classic detective story. Miss Marple, Philip Marlowe, Hercule Poirot, Morse - they're not relationship heavy characters. They are loners, coming in to solve the crime and then moving on. It's unusual for the main character to come with too many dependents - Inspector Wexford's daughters are grown up and living their own lives for example. But often over the course of a story, relationships develop. If romantic there's often a 'will they, won't they?' theme being played out, but most modern detectives seem to make connections with others by the end, however tentative.

So, is romantic fiction about becoming less dependent on others? And crime about becoming more? And does our preference as readers reflect our own position? Will I, about to lose my dependents in real life, suddenly turn to crime? Or will I become even more romantic? I haven't a clue but already in my writer's heart I feel a restlessness, a yearning for change...

2 comments:

badas2010 said...

Thank you Sarah.
This post has made me sit and think, (a bit of self absorption never did any harm!), and I've realised that my stories are all plot driven, the characters are there to move the plot along although of course they get involved somewhat in most cases. Mine are usually about ordinary people in extra-ordinary situations and my current WIP is a single character novel about a lone sailor, so no relationships at all, just to see if I can pull it off.

Sarah Duncan said...

Then the relationship is with himself surely? And with the sea, although that's a bit one-sided. Interesting...