Monday 7 March 2011

In Trepidation I Go to the Awards...

I've been trying to ban thoughts of the RNA Novel of the Year 2011 Awards Party from my brain for the last few weeks. Actually, that's not true. It's been since the long list was announced, way before Christmas. All through January I've not been thinking about it. All through February I've not been thinking about it even harder.

And now here it is. March 7th 2011. Champagne and canapes galore apparently - which I won't be able to enjoy because I'll be sick with nerves. I've allowed myself to practice a good loser face. Wistful? Nonchalant? Unconcerned? I'm not sure which is best. Green with envy? No, not that. Besides, I genuinely think I won't win. The rest of the short list is crammed with marvellous writers and fabulous novels. One of them will win. (My money's on Elizabeth Chadwick, not least because To Defy a King has the most gorgeous cover.)

Where I have won is by joining the Romantic Novelists Association in the first place, nearly ten years ago. Then I was in possession of a manuscript and a fistful of rejections. Since joining, all along the road to publication the RNA has been there from meeting my agent at an RNA party, to now and being short listed for their main award. It's been great and, because I don't expect that I'll get the chance on the night, I'd like to say a big thank you to the RNA. May you carry on supporting writers for ever.

NEW!!! I've finally got round to organising some course dates....
How to WRITE a Novel: London 3rd May/Birmingham 7th May/
Oxford 8th May/Exeter 21st May/Bath 12th June
How to SELL a Novel: London 24th May/Exeter 4th June/

5 comments:

Sean Z P Harris said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you, my dear. I truly hope you get to thank the RNA from the podium. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Sarah!

Whatever happens, I hope you enjoy the champagne and canapes.

Kath McGurl said...

Good luck!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I'm so grateful to be a part of the RNA NWS.

Word verification: backlist!

Sarah Duncan said...

Thank you all. I didn't win but I genuinely didn't expect to. In fact I had so convinced myself that I wouldn't that I had gaily tucked in the champagne before the announcement and would have been seriously embarrassed if I'd had to slither and stumble my way onto the podium.